Monday, March 17, 2014

Friday the 14th - Part 1: Native Foods Cafe at The Camp-Costa Mesa

Friday March 14th - Part 1: 
Native Foods Edition.

Friday morning I had a follow up with my new diabetes doctors. In short, I was nervous, I got good/bad news, and all in all the doctors visit went quick and well. 
Thankfully I think I like my new doctor and nurse practitioner, so things have been better.


Since Michael had to take off work to take me, afterwords we decided to grab lunch before he goes back to work, and all things considered, we wanted to try someplace new. 
Since 'The Camp' is right down the road from us and has many food places we haven't tried yet, we figured it was the best place to go, and in the middle of the camp is the round metal building made into a cafe.
Native Foods Cafe to be exact.
We had never been there before, nor had we heard anything about it, but its an interesting looking place, and we thought the placed looked healthy. After reading the menu, we found out why: apparently native foods cafe is a vegan place, or as far as we can tell, they serve 5 different meats, and none have actual meat in it; just cheese with some kind of crushed nuts.
If your not vegan, it sounds pretty crazy.
We actually didn't know any of that until we ordered and sat down.
Not that it would have changed our minds, I had ordered the Bombastic Tofu Wrap, and I already knew tofu was not meat. I wanted to try it, since I had never had tofu before. seemed like the right time, and Michael ordered the Super Italian Meatball Sub.
which we didn't know actually had no meat in it, until taking our first bite, thinking it was weird, reading the menu more, and finding out it was actually meatless "sausage", then being very much in fact impressed.
Although being pretty good for vegan food, I was very disappointed that it seemed most the menu was spicy, I didn't think my wrap was supposed to be spicy, and even though it was absolutely delicious, I do have to comment on how there was a bit too much sauce, and it was soooooo spicy. -keep in mind, I'm really sensitive to spices, so while for me it felt like i was being stabbed by thousands of needles in my mouth, for Michael it was only a small warmth. So with that note, don't feel swayed from it, unless you are sensitive to spices like I am, I'm sure you will love it!
I kept eating it until I just couldn't take it anymore, lol which for me is saying something. 
The other flavors were just so unique to me, it was fabulous.


The meatball sub, not so much, the meatballs were in fact impressive considering they were meatless, the peppers were just the right touch and the bread was flavorful in itself, but it was lacking in substance, it felt like more then anything you were getting very big mouthfuls of bread.


Now considering I knew all the desserts at least were vegan before we ordered, and they had a great selection at only $2.50 each, I had to try more then one.
So we got 4 different desserts.


Zucchini Date Cake, Oatmeal Cream Pie, Carrot Cream Cheese Cupcake and peanut butter parfait.
My least favorite was the oatmeal cream pie. Its two oatmeal cookies with a cream filling (although not real cream because its vegan) It was ok, but I found the cream to be a bit sour, which was too off-putting for me.
The rest were outstanding, I never EVER thought I would like something called a zucchini date cake, but it was fabulous, and the peanut butter parfait, although mostly for Michael, I did try a bite and it was surprisingly good, but the best was the Carrot Cake cupcake. Now I'm sure we will go back to native foods in the future, but if not for the food, it will for sure be for the cupcake. The texture was fantastic, and idk how you make a vegan cream cheese frosting, but it was spot on. 
definitely worth trying, whether your vegan or not.

All in all it was a nice experience, very new and I'm glad we tried it :) my first time eating tofu was a good one, yay!

(Website with menu and locations listed Below) 

https://www.nativefoods.com/menu/

No comments:

Post a Comment