Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas Baking and the Party Thereafter

*sigh* I've been procrastinating... knowing I should post something, but just haven't felt up to it.

My christmas was pretty good, although the couple days before it were stressful and tiring.

The post is about the Sunday before Christmas, the 23rd, and some of Christmas Eve.

So the Sunday the 23th was set aside for baking. My husband and I thought it would be nice to make some cookies for Christmas and my aunt's Christmas party, and since it was a Sunday he could help me. BUT He had to finish up Christmas shopping and get some stuff we needed to finish up the cookie recipes.
It ended up taking way longer then intended, one thing led to another, something forgotten here, something needed there and bam its suddenly 4:00 in the afternoon and my husband is just getting home.
So we didn't start the cookies until about 4:30, but then I had already started on one of the cookies, but still needed some stuff so I couldn't get far.
Our plan was to make Red Velvet Sandwich cookies, Sugar Cookies, and Gooey Chocolate Butter cookies.
We started with the Sugar Cookie dough, and got it in the fridge, and
Since the Red Velvet cookies were the only ones that didn't need to be refrigerated prior to baking... we logically made them first.
just so everything is laid out and you all can understand our situation a bit better, you need to know a few things:

  1. The numbers on our oven dial are all worn off, so we have to guess where to put the heat at. 
  2. We always set the timer a few minutes before they say to so we remember to check on the cookies. and 
  3. Right now we only have crappy cookie sheet pans from the dollar store, so they're really small and heat up fast.

Now, back to my story.
So we put the cookies in and set the timer early, wait... and when we go to check on them, guess what we find... they were burnt to a crisp! only about 8 good cookies, and well since these are cookies sandwiches, that only makes 4 cookies, and i cant bring 4 cookies to the party. So I'm freaking out a little.


Michael calms me down saying the rest of the cookies will turn out just fine. Now it's really late in the day around 9 or 10 PM and we decide its time to start working on the sugar cookies. So I pull the dough out of the fridge and start pulling it apart, rolling it into little balls and placing them on the cookies sheets. This fills about 4 cookie sheets, so instead of putting 4 in all at the same time we put only two in, on the upper wrack (because thats where the Red Velvet cookies did ok) to make sure they don't burn and we can see if anything goes wrong.
So they're in the oven baking, and I'm checking up on them like crazy, and over the span of about 8 minutes I notice that they are not spreading out, and they smell like biscuits... and now that I think of it, they looked like biscuits, So again I'm starting to freak out a little inside, and I usher michael over so we can pull them out and try them.
and guess what, they tasted like biscuits! Little round ball biscuits, that were slightly sweeter than normal biscuits, but they had a flakey biscuit texture, and were not-at-all cookie-like. So I'm freaking out, and Michael is wracking his brain as to why this might happen. Without coming up with any logical reason for why they didn't turn out like they should, we decide to put the last two pans in the oven and make the rest of the Biscuits, while I start on the third cookies, and Michael finds a new sugar cookie recipe and starts making the batter.
at this point its around 11:30 PM and were both super tired, I'm rolling the third cookies into balls, then powdered sugar, while freaking out, not knowing if these were going to come out disasterous too. and Michael is almost done with the batter for the second sugar cookie try.
so we pop these last cookies in.

 Since we were both really tired from the really long day, we put the second sugar cookie dough in the fridge for me to bake by myself in the morning, other then try the third cookies and see how they turned out the only thing left for me to do was make the icing, which I didn't want to do without Michael because with my Neuropathy I cant always stir things real well. So Michael started on the icing, while I waited nervously by the oven, hoping with all my heart these third cookies would turn out.

and BAM they did!!! Yay! The Gooey Chocolate Butter Cookies turned out fantastic! Although we couldn't find out till the next morning because in all honesty me and my husband couldn't taste anything anymore... if you know what I mean :p (sampling lots of sugary things, sensory overload)


So the next morning, Michael is off to work, and I wake up bright and early and immediately start in on the second sugar cookies, I'm thinking to myself, "this is a completely different recipe, no way these can't turn out", so I'm all happy-go-lucky. up until the point where i pull them out of the oven and guess what I have in my little oven mitts.... BISCUITS!!!
OMG. You could not believe how frustrated and confused I was, I called Michael right away, and told what happened and neither of us could come up with answer as to why this was happening, so then I called up my Mother, and tell her this long tale of woe :p and She is just laughing her ass off at me, and then going through the list of "did you do this?" ... "yes" ... "did you do that?" ... "yes" and by the time we had gone over everything it basically came down too, we're just going to have to keep trying it and tweaking the recipe somehow.
But I'm sitting there like, what am I going to do for the party, so she tells me to just put icing on the biscuits and nobody will care, they will still be good. So I giggle off my woes and decide to do that.
When I was done icing the biscuits, I tried one... and guess what happened,
they tasted good! Now they still weren't the exact consistency of a cookie, but damn its like over night they magically changed into more of a sugar cookie.


so i guess it all worked out, especially for us since we liked them, and not a single person other then my mother tried them :( so we were stuck with them all. which is cool for us, but on the other hand I really wanted to see what people thought, I mean I did make them especially for this party. Oh well, we will definitely be making the Chocolate Butter cookies again and figuring out the sugar cookie problem.

Onto the Party!
Really the only thing to say is me and my family, and their friends, are very different, and even though it's not visible I don't really get along with them. I'm going to leave it at that.
Other than that, my aunt Marie had some stuff she didn't need anymore and gave us some extras for our new place.
which we appreciate so much because already the stuff she gave us made a big difference.
she gave us a bookshelf, a little fold up chair, a coffee machine, a crock pot, a side table and a lamp. Praise the heavens! We have a bookshelf and a side table! and oh how they have made a difference!
so that made the night, OH and i almost forgot, for christmas she gave us a pot and pan set, target gift card, and she had won a mini pie making set at an auction and didn't want it so she gave that to us as well :)


so we have been extremely blessed by that and may I add we have been extremely blessed by all the other help we have received from family, so thank you all!

Here are a couple updated pics from the apartment

I shall post another post later on, of the photo shoot my husband and I had Christmas Eve! I know its a little mixed, but I have yet to work on the photos and this post is already pretty long, I think it best to separate them. Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment