Friday, January 31, 2014

The Adventure Chronicles of 2014 - Chapter 1

I don't particularly want to talk about this right now, but since I keep forgetting to do it and I have another post I do want to talk about today or tomorrow, I should probably get this one done first.

 My husband Michael and I agreed that this year we wanted to go on more adventures, explore more, get out more, instead of cooping ourselves inside all the time or going to the usual places and then complaining that we never do anything or go anywhere, lol. So we went on our first adventure this year, of course we would like to do more then one a month, BUT, with all the planning, and getting me set up with Project Life (which is another blog post I will be working on soon) we just didn't have the time or finances yet, so for this month, one will have to do :) 

Not this last Saturday, but the Saturday before that, we had our first adventure of the year.
This story starts by me being lazy in bed, checking instagram to see what people were upto, and I follow a few different bloggers, and it just so happened that one of the awesome lady bloggers I follow was at an expensive looking patisserie/restraunt in LA, that looked fabulous and made me want to get out and go so bad. 
But by the time we had finished talking about if we should get out and do something or not, it was 1:30 and with that late of a start we didn't know if we should even try and get out. but we were both craving adventure. so we decided maybe not LA today, but instead we would go to lunch and check out Long Beach.

So we headed to a little place called The Attic.

Outside The Attic
An adorable little place thats set in a house from the early 1900's.
Revamped into a resteraunt with an urban, and welcoming feel. Each room is a different color, and the old fashioned windows everywhere bring in lots of light. 
it also has an artsy flare to it, with art and mirrors on the walls, and benches with pillows and cushions. They also have an outdoor seating section as well.


We had been there once before when we were looking at apartments in Long Beach back in October, and decided to try it again since we had a good experience the last time


I ordered the Turkey Meatloaf, and a Carbonated Strawberry Lemonade.
the Lemonade was absolutely fantastic, not like I'm a drink connoisseur yet, but I would defiantly go back for the Lemonade, and the meal was delicious as well. I could tell the mashed potatoes and beans were fresh. The beans and tangy vinaigrette kind of sauce on then that I was not expecting, but thoroughly enjoyed. The meatloaf was nicely done, I think it had carrots in it because it had a pleasant sweet taste, and the wine sauce was sweet as well, but in no way was it overly sweet, just the right amount.


Michael got the Chef's Pasta (which is whatever pasta the chef feels like making you)
and I wasn't sure what exactly he ended up getting, all I know is that it was very good and my husband really enjoyed it.


We were so pleased with how lunch turned out and what a nice time we had that we didn't want to just go home, it was only about 5 -


So we decided to go check out the patisserie in LA that I saw on instagram that morning, after seeing countless amazing pictures from the place, Bottega Louie looked like an amazing place to visit, and though my Husband and I had been in and around LA before, we had never been in the city, so we thought, HEY we have nothing better to do, lets road trip.

Let me say now, we made it in and out of there alive, but going into a city you have never been in, without a map, or GPS, looking for a specific place, is not as fun as it sounds :p
Short version, is I figured out that I am not a city girl, at least not an LA girl, I think we definatly decided we would like to come back and explore more, but defiantly in the day time (getting yelled at by homeless people on a quiet street at night time, does not make me feel safe, I know I'm a little paranoid, but I'm ok with that if it keeps me prepared and safe) But more then any of that, I do want to go back to eat at the Bottega Louie at some point, because everything looks amazing, and I gotta say, the Macarons, (Which I guess is a main reason people go?) were pretty good, I definitely want to go back for more.


Violet Cassis, Rose, Grand Cru (Dark Chocolate Ganache), Lemon, Vanilla, Raspberry, Chocolate Orange, and Espresso. 

Photo from phone.

We also ended up dropping by an asian market for no reason other then we could, and then ended up buying a ton of asian food, probably asian junk food, but we wanted to try new things, so whatever.

As we were heading home we decided to have dinner in Huntington Beach, I thought we should try someplace new and Huntington Beach is well known so I thought the place would be still bustling at 8 at night, I was wrong about that, but as we were walking down one of the main streets near the beach, we heard people and noticed there was a restaurant, on the second floor.

So we ended up at this populated Bar/Restaurant that was connected to a hotel on the second floor of a Huntington Beach street building. The place is called Zimzala. They had outdoor seating that looked down on the street, the whole place had a very modern vibe but still kept its warmth, what I thought was cool is they had couches and little tables for people to just lounge and sip cocktails on. It was a pretty neat place, with a very refined menu that although we could not afford the main dish's at the moment, the small dish's were just our size.

I ended up going with the Smoked Duck Flatbread, but other then the actual duck on top, I didn't care for it, so I switched with Michael and ended up eating the Prime Burger:
Bacon Jam / Tomato Jam / Wild Arugula / Chipotle Cheddar / Fried leeks, on a buttermilk roll.
looking at it, I never would have ordered it, but it was scrumptious!


I think both Michael and I were a bit disappointed with the duck flatbread, it was ok, the duck was amazing, but the rest of the ingredients didn't mix well and there was too much cheese.


The treat though, the thing work going back for, was the homemade ice cream. we ordered the Breakfast Cereal Trio and it was AMAZING! Cinnamon Toast Crunch ice cream, Cookies and Cream ice cream and Cocoa puff ice cream. 


I would highly recommend trying this.

All it all, it was an amazing day, I gotta say its been awhile since me and my husband had been out doing stuff like that and damn, it felt good! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment